Saturday, August 23, 2008

PATIENCE... OR THE LACK THEREOF

Written By Brenda Young

In the age of having every worldly need instantly at our fingertips, we become quickly frustrated and angered when it is not. Our selfishness quickly takes over and turns our focus from what He wants for us to what we want in our timing.

Lately, Rich and I are finding that God is working in our hearts more than ever. We have been greatly humbled in our lack of patience and dependence in Him. Even though we feel as though we were totally in tune with Him and know that he has everything worked out, we still continue to struggle with letting Him control all aspects of our life. We become so impatient that anger settles in. The stresses take over and begin to control us. Why can’t we ‘just be’? Why is it so easy to let the worldly ways seep into our souls? Why is it so hard?

Looking back now, I can see how God has been slowing testing us in different areas of our lives. He tested our boldness through being vocal about our beliefs through several job interviews. He has tested our trust by making us comfortable walking away into the unknown of a new job in a new location with less money. He is testing our humbleness by having us move in with my parents (Eight is Enough!).

But the hardest test to this point has been one of patience. It seems as though we are playing the waiting game. The process has been slow with the transition into the new job, the house still has not sold and we are having difficulties feeling settled. We know in our hearts that God will take care of it, in His own timing. But we continue to ask, “God why is this taking so long?“ We try to remember to wait and all will be fine in due time, but in the next breathe we begin complaining and taking it into our own hands to fix what has already been decided.

So our daily (sometimes hourly) prayer has become:

God please help me to be patient.
Help me to be patient with my children, especially as they struggle the same way I do. Help me to be patient with everyone I come in contact with throughout the day so I can show them your love.
Help me to be patient with myself if I am not accomplishing all I think I should.
Help me to wait on you.
And thank you ahead of time for forgiving me every time I become angered, frustrated, and forget that you are in control.


And as I say this prayer, yet again, I feel God’s love all over me. I am comforted and can just sit back and let Him take control. I know with everything within me that He knows what is best and that we will walk out of these times much better people better able to accomplish all he has in store for us. And I can better enjoy this life he has given me.

2 comments:

deepstreamflorida said...

I know what to start praying for you now, the same thing I've been praying for Kerrie - TRUST! Maybe it's our(myself included) theme right now??? Miss you face!

DeepStream said...

Praise Jesus that He is giving your family an intense unified avenue to practice becoming more like Him.
One of our favorite artists Brandon Heath has 2 songs playing over and over in our heads.
From one of them, "Don't Get Comfortable,
"Comfortable, Don't get comfortable. I am gonna move this mountain, then I'm gonna move you in.
Yesterday. This is not yesterday. When you were standing on my shoulders, now your standing on the edge. You've been looking for a sign all this time.
I am gonna show you what I mean.
I am gonna love like you've never seen.
You are gonna live like you used to dream.
This is your new song.
So afraid. But you don't have to be afraid.
Even if you make mistakes.
You know that I'll remain.
If you seek me you'll find me every time.
I am gonna show you what I mean.
I am gonna love like you've never seen.
You are gonna live like you used to dream.
This is your new song.

May you leave the past behind and develop a new song. Praying for all you DeepStreamers.
DeepStream PA