Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Prez Obama


I voted for John McCain. I was more of a Huckabee guy during the primaries, but still had a liking for McCain. For me, social issues like abortion tip the scale when I am casting my vote. There’s never a perfect candidate, but I try to look for Christlike characteristics when choosing a leader (a near impossibility when talking about politicians!). Huckabee was bold about his faith in Christ, to the point where it hurt him politically, and I liked that.

Protecting the right to life, dealing with world poverty and disease, defending the biblical definition of marriage, discrimination, and immigration are a few of the social issues that mean more to me than the ones of the more political or economical variety. In some of these areas, I think democrats tend to carry a more Christlike view. In other areas it tends to be republicans.

That being said, today I am a typically-conservative-Jesus-loving-missionary-living-in-a-third-world-country who is celebrating a special moment in American history. (I have heard all of the "Obama is evil" warnings and I am aware of his shady associations. I also know that if I ran for president, the associations of my past would raise a few questions to say the least. Some of Obama’s history alarms me too, but he has renounced these relationships and I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt.)

More importantly, this election symbolizes incredible progress for a country that not long ago treated many individuals no better than a stray dog because their skin was black. When I was in high school the KKK still marched down Main Street in my hometown. African Americans have overcome what I believe to be the most cruel, ridiculous, and vicious discrimination in American history.

Political views aside, this election is a monumental defining point for America. Whether we voted for Barack Obama or not, and even if we deeply disagree with his political views, we must celebrate the significance of this day. For the black population, and all Americans for that matter, today is a day to claim victory over some of the darkest days in the closet of American history.

In many ways, I think politics are overrated. Government is critically important for sure, but it gets too much attention and can distract us from remembering who is actually in control. Despite having a long list of disagreements with the president-elect, I will embrace Barack Obama as my president. I’ll pray for him and the leadership of the country, and I will no doubt celebrate what I believe his being elected represents.

1 comment:

beth said...

Couldn't agree with you more Brock.

By the way, your website looks great. loved reading everything. keep it up - we need to hear your thoughts - Kerrie's too!