Saturday, September 13, 2008

Juan Daniel, and so many more...


Imagine this… You get pregnant as a young teenager. There is no way you can tell your family, especially your father. You are poor and live in a third world country, making the option of abortion impossible. So you live with a friend for nine months, deliver the baby, and the day he is born you toss him into a ditch on the side of the road. He is left to die. Problem solved.

Unimaginable? Sadly, this is commonplace in Guatemala. It is to Guatemalans what abortion is to North Americans. A solution to the inconveniences that come with having a child.

But in the case of Juan Daniel ("Danny", pictured with me here), God had other plans. A local couple was on a walk and discovered the 2-day old boy, barely alive, and took him to the fire station. The fire station got him to the hospital, and soon he was placed in the court system. About 3 weeks later, a judge would give him a name and place him in an orphanage.

Unlike most abandoned Guatemalan children, Danny was placed in a small, family-like orphanage with loving Christian parents. Today, I hold this miracle child in my arms, and take great joy in making him chuckle as I tickle the chub under his chin.

Today, we have the blessing of overseeing a small orphanage, and providing the owner’s family a much needed day off. Each baby (all under 5 months) has its own story of abandonment, similar to that of Danny. Unloved by their moms and dads, but perfectly loved by their Father in heaven.

As we consider our own struggles today – work, busy schedules, the market crash, health, finances, etc – let us not forget those whose concerns are far greater. Our brothers, sisters, and children around the world are literally dying on the side of the road.

I thank God today for the opportunity to serve him, and these children.

4 comments:

Vicki said...

Okay, as soon as I am able to support another child, I would like to adopt a child like Danny. I want to make a difference in a child's life like his. I pray my husband would feel the same way. Please pray for me to be responsible, successful and be able to once manage this to make my heart happy. I pray this would be part of God's plan for my life.

Vicki said...

Okay, as soon as I am able to support another child, I would like to adopt a child like Danny. I want to make a difference in a child's life like his. I pray my husband would feel the same way. Please pray for me to be responsible, successful and be able to once manage this to make my heart happy. I pray this would be part of God's plan for my life.

Cristy Nave said...

Brock,
Jason Nave here, I have the doctor coming in this afternoon to meet with me that is soon to come to Guatemala. Can you please send me all of your contact information and he is going to try and connect with you when he is there. He will be heading that way sometime next week.

Cristy Nave said...

Please send me your e-mail and any contact phone numbers that you have there and teh exact city you are in there..